Friday, February 25, 2011

Finish one thing a day...

Finish one thing a day... 

Of course, finishing loads of stuff in a day is great!  But I think, setting a minimum of 1 thing a day, is the way to start getting "back-on-track". 


One thing a day is just 1 little thing.  How hard is that?  It doesn't have to be a big thing, so long as it's 'something'.  Something that can be checked off a list.  Something that is for 'you' and not someone else's errand or chore.  Something that you can feel good about.  It's done... check... on to the next thing!


If you're anything like me, that means you probably have a million things on the go and a whole bunch of loose-ends lying around. 


Maybe you have a backlog of blogs to write, half-completed jewelry projects, paperwork, homework, job applications, job examinations, taxes, doctors appointments to make, making an appointment for that much needed - and much dreaded - trip to the dentist, or just fixing little things around the house.


How did things get so far behind?  Good question!  Life got in the way. In the past year and a half, I've moved house 6 times (including an international move), volunteered, had 2 separate 6 month contracts, been up-and-down in the finances department due to my never-ending studies and I am trying desperately to get my mind back into 'study mode' so that I can stop paying tuition and graduate with my Masters! 


I think the key challenge is the constant moving.  Everything is in boxes.  Nothing is found without a challenge.  Nothing I own has a permant space, a 'home'.  And... for someone that travels so very much... this girl has a LOT of 'stuff'!


So, trying to do too much - within a total chaotic mess of boxes, bags, paperwork, closets spilling over with clothes and a house cluttered with way too much furniture and 'stuff' for it's own good (my poor parents!) - is impossible.  The first step is slowing down. 


That's a tough step for me as I'm used to doing so much at once.  I like diversity.  I like having a variety of types of people in my life.  I love cooking and having a well stocked, organized and fully stocked kitchen.  I love to read and study and have a collection of books that could fill up a large room.  I like to have an office area devoted to writing, reading, studying and chilling out with my classics.  I like to have a work station that's set up and ready to go whenever the mood to exercise my 'creative flair' takes hold.  I like to have a closet with all of my clothes neatly arranged and easy to find so that I don't have to root through bags, boxes, closets and god forbid on the floor or under the bed! 


But these days, having moved back to my parents home in a tiny little village for a few months while I try to save my bank account from going too far in the red while finishing my studies, the possibility of having the simple 'space' to be organized is a definite challenge. 


Which brings me back to the topic of today's blog - finishing 1 thing a day. 


It sounds so simple but sometimes, when you've got a million things on the go, it's not so simple.  So this is my new plan: Each day, I will commit to finishing 1 thing.  Whether it be a jewelry commission, an article to read, organizing paper work, making appointments, updating photos or editing a chapter for my thesis. 


One thing a day and eventually that huge list of 'things to do' will become manageable again. 


That's my plan.  Wish me luck!


- Tara, Treasure Trunk Designs



This is the latest "Shruti" cuff with carnelian, red tiger eye and copper.  It's my all-time best seller.  This one is for a lady in Ottawa who is soooo excited to get it!  I caught her posting on facebook about how excited she was - what a great feeling to find that out!  This is my 'one thing' to finish today.  Everything else will be a 'bonus' :)


Update to blog: A "Shruti" for Trudy is finished!  I hope she likes it! 





What do you think? 
 Post your comments as I would love to
hear what you have to say :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts by commenting!