Monday, June 6, 2011

Cyber Stalkers Suck!

Cyber Stalkers Suck!

Well, I suppose it was bound to happen sooner or later.  I got my first online stalker. 

Oh joy... There is nothing more annoying and invasive than identity thefts and stalkers.  Both of which I have had at one point or another during my adult life. 

Although some celebrities may enjoy this kind of fanatical behavior - I, for one, think it sucks!  I mean, come on people, don't you have better things to do with your time?!?

The latest was minor by comparison to some previous issues.  Nevertheless it's annoying, a time waster, invasive and can leave you feeling under attack and worried about what their next step will be! 

Having a blog and an online shop, this is of particular concern as you might have to monitor ALL of your social media 24 / 7 until the bugger finds some other target to pick on. 

Yep, social media - such as Facebook, Twitter and of course Blogging outlets - opens the door for wanna-be bullies to come out of the closets that they've been hiding in for so long and start wreaking havoc. 

Perhaps these online bullies are also bullies in real life, but I think these buggers are hiding under the veil of anonymity that social media provides!  Cowards...

So what happened then?  Well, as you might know from my previous blog post "Metal Detector: Latest Obsession...", I just purchased a new Bounty Hunter Tracker IV metal detector. 
Being REALLY excited about my new toy, after getting home and testing her out, I decided to find a Facebook page for tips, ideas and to chat with other people who share my interest in metal detecting. 

I found a few great facebook pages, including KellyCo's facebook page.  You might remember the name from the supplier list I put in my last blog about metal detecting. 

KellyCo Metal Detectors has a great online rep and - if it were not for the Canada Post strike that's going on right now I might have purchased through them!  So here I was on their facebook page, super excited to find an active group of MD geeks - hoorah!

I said a quick hello and posted a link to my blog post hoping to get some useful comments, tips, hints and suggestions.  However, within 10 minutes, I got something completely unexpected!

Yep,within only a few minutes of posting on KellyCo's facebook page, I fell prey to a cowardly act of cyber stalking and bullying.  This pervy bugger should be charged for his behavior however - as mentioned - how to figure out who the creepy loser is and report him?  So, I blocked the bugger and reported him to facebook.  24 hours later and 8 different personas the guy was still on a roll.  So, I called KellyCo about keeping better tabs on their social media pages. 

I can't begin to describe how pleased I was with the lady who answered the line when I called KellyCo.  She was awesome.  Maybe that's the only word to describe it.  She apologized right away, she made the call to the person in charge of social media and what's more - she LISTENED and then she TOOK ACTION.  As big box stores take over the little guy is squeezed out of the business market, I find more and more that people care less and less about ensuring a safe, happy, comfortable and enjoyable experience for their customers.  This CAN NOT be said about Kelly Co. 

While the weekend continued with this bugger finding one new name after another for the same old tricks, eventually on Monday morning "Jamie" took over the facebook page again and worked really hard to get rid of this cyber stalker.  Thank you Jamie!

At the end of the day, it's impossible to know if this was just some creepy pervert who saw a pretty target or if he's actually got a hate-on for KellyCo and saw the perfect opportunity to pounce. 

Possibly it's a combination of both.  Either way, I'm glad that KellyCo staff took the issue seriously.  I'm impressed by KellyCo and I hope that you are too!

- Tara, Treasure Trunk Designs

Diva on a Dime?



No comments:

Post a Comment

Share your thoughts by commenting!